EU citizens

If you are an EU citizen or a citizen of an EEA country and you decide to stay in the Czech Republic for more than three months, we recommend applying for a REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE. It is not an obligation, but it will make your life easier. 

For third-country nationals who have an EU citizen or EEA citizen as a family member (spouse, registered partner, boyfriend/girlfriend in a proven long-term relationship (LTR), parent of a child in their care, etc.). The relationship between an applicant and the person whom they seek to be reunited with is divided into two categories: immediate family member and extended family member.

If you are an EU citizen or a citizen of an EEA country and have been living in the Czech Republic for at least 5 years, you are entitled to apply for permanent resident status. 

For this type of application, you are required to present yourself in person at the Ministry of Interior, but we will have a power of attorney for the entire process and will handle all the bureaucracy and paperwork for you. Soon you can really start feeling like a Czech local! 🍻🍺 Na zdraví!

If you have been legally residing in the Czech Republic for at least 2 years and have been the family member of an EU or EEA citizen for at least 1 year out of those 2 years (in which case you resided in the same household for that 1 year), then you are entitled to apply for a permanent residence permit so long as you remain their family member on the date of lodging your application.*

A trade license (known as a ŽIVNO) entitles you to be self-employed or work as freelancer in the trades listed in the Trade Licensing Act. A trade license is also referred to as an “IČO business” or “OSVČ” (or in other words, a “sole proprietorship”, “sole tradership”, or “entrepreneurship”).

Upon arrival in the Czech Republic, every foreign national is obliged to report to the Foreign Police. EU/EEA citizens have a time limit to report to them within 30 days upon their arrival in the country. After registration, your passport will be stamped with your current Czech address. If you fail to report for your registration, the foreign police may issue you a fine. As the official language for conducting business is Czech and most officers do not speak English, we will be glad to accompany you to the Foreign Police and interpret for you to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Replacing a foreign driver’s license with a Czech one. 

EU citizens who hold a driver’s license issued by another EU Member State are not obliged to exchange their driver’s license for a Czech one, regardless of their type of stay in the Czech Republic and its duration. However, if you wish to exchange your license for a Czech one, you must be habitually resident in the Czech Republic. 

If you have a trade license, are self-employed, are a sole proprietor (OSVČ), or are running a business in the Czech Republic, then you must file a Czech tax return every year and pay taxes.