A trade license (known as a ŽIVNO) entitles you to be self-employed or work as freelancer in the trades listed in the Trade Licensing Act. A trade license is also referred to as an “IČO business” or “OSVČ” (or in other words, a “sole proprietorship”, “sole tradership”, or “entrepreneurship”).

If you plan to do business or are already doing business in the Czech Republic, you will need a trade license. However, unless you are a homeowner or the owner of a commercial property, this trade license can only be issued upon obtaining written consent from your landlord (or the property owner) to use their property as your business address.

If you have a trade license, are self-employed, are a sole proprietor (OSVČ), or are running a business in the Czech Republic, then you must file a Czech tax return every year and pay taxes.